10 Oct 2010

Tiririca - A Clown for Brazil!

A controversial professional clown, known in Brazil as Tiririca, was elected to occupy a seat at Brazilian Congress as federal deputy. Tiririca, whose real name is Francisco Everardo Oliveira Filho, has won with more than 1.3 million votes, for São Paulo State, the most of any deputy nationwide.



Francisco Oliveira, a 45 year-old television comedian, had as slogan "It couldn't get any worse. Vote for me."
During his campaign he also used in his ads "What does a federal deputy do? I have no idea -- but vote for me and I'll let you know," or “"Vote for me as federal deputy so I can help the needy -- especially my family." He was running for PR (Partido da República) or , in English, Republic Party.

In the spots, he is seen dancing around with a cheesy grin, in a colourful outfit, blond wig and undersize hat, making fun of everything related to politics. Now, he will be part of it.

The big problem is that there’s a suspicious of Tiririca being illiterate! The judge for electoral zone of São Paulo Aloisio Sergio Rezende Silveira, demanded that the clown must prove to the law he is able to read and write since for Brazilian law, this is the minimum required for anyone interested in occupying a public office. If he does not pass the exam, he will lose his office.

In my view, people have cast their votes on him, in a kind of protest. I did not cast my vote on him but I cannot say he will not make a good job, just in case he is proved literate to the justice and go to the Congress. But it is really a risk.

Brazilian people are tired of being “clown” of the government, then have elected a professional one to have a seat at the highest degree of power in Brazil. Corruption, embezzlement, disregard for the people, briberies, prostitution, paedophilia and so forth are part of the news about Brazilian politicians.

If all this is “allowed” why does not have a CLOWN?



Once again, let’s wait and see what will happen to my country!

Post a Comment